Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Back On The Road - Part 1

Two weekends ago I was flying up I-95 again. I haven't been on a road trip in months since I've been battling pain in my right foot and leg due to a heel spur and driving doesn't seem to help. So I was really looking forward to a weekend away to attend the North Florida Rug Hooking Guild's Spring Hook In. First stop was Flagler Beach to meet my DF Henri at one of my fav restaurants, Blue. As I approached Flagler Beach, I remembered it was Friday and their Farmer's Market was in full swing, which could only mean that Shelley of My Bolga Baskets would be there manning (or I should say, WOmanning) her booth. I tried to turn to go south BEFORE the market, but for some reason the car kept going straight and I got a glimpse of her booth with all the colorful baskets hanging and more baskets lined up on the ground. In the next blink of an eye, I was turning the corner and my car was sliding into an empty parking spot on one of the otherwise packed side streets by the market. OH MY! I guess I needed to check out THE booth! I snagged a new shaped basket, new to me, and another U-shopper basket, which is my favorite shape to hold my cross-stitch patterns and projects in. This one had Amish quilt colors, so I had to add it to the "collection".

I quickly resumed the trip and arrived at Blue just as DF Henri was heading for the restaurant. Since it was in the mid-80's (the heat is already on here), we decided to sit inside and had a lovely view of the ocean from the window.

And here's a picture of the side of the building where the restaurant is. It's not a stand alone establishment, but is part of The Topaz, a hotel along south A1A.

Following a great lunch, we drove west on SR 100 to Sew and Quilt, a quilt shop that I first stopped at on the way home from rug camp in January.  The shop recently added yarn to their offerings, so we had to check it out. No yarn purchases, but I did end up getting two yards of Bali Batiks to add to "stash". It was time to move on to points north and as I was heading to I-95 to resume the trip, I noticed that I was following my favorite driver!!! Hey, I was even going to pass him! Adios, Jr.

3 p.m. and it's Jacksonville! I jumped into DF Melody's vehicle and we were off to Macclenny to the Local Needle. My Knit Along project was with me so I could show Joan, the owner, in between checking out her new stock. We decided not to stay for the shop's Friday night open knitting and headed back to town to hit Biscotti's (another fav of mine) for dinner.  We indulged ourselves in their fabulous cheese plate and it wasn't until almost the last almond and apricot were gone that I remembered - A PICTURE!!! So here is what was left of our 2-cheese plate of "Vintage" - 5 year old aged Gouda (gone) and "Maytag Blue" - blue cheese from Iowa, I believe (still a bit left). It was deeeeelish! A glass of Riesling for each of us helped to make the experience another memorable one at Biscotti's.

The Hook In on Saturday was fun and well attended.  I got to catch up with lots of friends, the food was good, great desserts, and even got some hooking in. I was having so much fun, I totally forgot to take any pictures. Sunday was Mother's Day and I joined DF Melody and her family in celebrating her mother, Jane, at brunch in the Riverside neighborhood of Jacksonville.  Melody covered our experience in her blog post so I won't go into it. Later that afternoon, we drove down to Hanks, another of our fav yarn stores in Gainesville.  Here are a few pics - their wall of sock yarn, a shot of a gorgeous Kromski spinning wheel in one of their windows, and a close-up of a very cool sock, which I caved and got the pattern for.  It was knit in my fav yarn, Malabrigo - the sock weight.

And here is the other basket I picked up loaded with most of my weekend loot! Bali fabric, gorgeous Dream in Color yarn, ShiBui sock yarn, a new spindle, and a few skeins of Malabrigo sock yarn in a yummy dark blue grey green. 

It was a great extended weekend. I was even able to get in a visit with my uncle on the way home on Monday. I got to see his pictures and hear about his one-day trip to Washington D.C. that happened on that Saturday - two days earlier.  He was part of a contingent of World War II veterans who made the trip up to see the new WWII Memorial as well as a few other sites.  It was exciting for him and he had great time. Check out Volusia Honor Air to learn more about this great program.


woolwoman said...

Karen it was so great having you for a visit. We sure cram packed a lot of miles and fun into that 3 day weekend. Having stash to remember each journey by is a good thing ! Hope to see you soon - mel

SimplyStitchingintheGarden said...

Hi Karen, Roberta here, found you through Melody's blog. We chit chat occasionally via the blogs.

Say HI to all at Always in Stitches, I miss you all so much.